Sunday 8 March 2015

Minding Your P's and Q's...The World of Theatre Etiquette

Hi everyone, once again this is another post inspired by my most recent trip to London when I saw Made in Dagenham and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (please click the show names to view their blogs). Now when I was seeing Made in Dagenham the people on the other side of the aisle spent about 90% of the first act on their phones; texting, tweeting and even using the camera flash to read the programme. I found this particularly distracting as I kept catching a glimpse of the light from the phone in the corner of my eye, however, it was quite hard to say something as this would have meant crossing the aisle and possibly causing more distraction. In the interval I did go over to the steward and explain the situation who was more than helpful, especially as several other people had complained about the same people as well. Luckily (or unluckily as I did want them to get told off...well they had been incredibly distracting during the first act!) they didn't reappear for the second act so we were able to watch the show in peace but more importantly darkness.

However, it got me thinking about theatre etiquette, particularly as one of the groups I follow on Facebook, The Musical Theatre Appreciation Society, there have been more and more mid interval rants from people experiencing similar problems to me. I really have to say that if you've spent £60+ on a ticket (or any money really) why would you want to talk to the person next to you or spend time on your phone as by doing this you're not even giving the show a chance. Then if you've sat there patiently and quietly until the interval and you really don't like it you're free to leave. Seriously though...if you just want to talk or use your phone isn't is cheeper to do that in a bar, your hotel room or back at home?

Anyway, enough ranting (well kind of)...this got me thinking about my top most hated behaviours in the theatre and the behaviours that I don't mind and will kinda defend. So here goes...

1. Bad Behaviour - The Phones Addict...talking, texting, tweeting, playing games, using the flash light...anything to do with phones! Don't get me wrong I'm love my phone and for the most time I couldn't live without it, however, for the time that I'm in the theatre I pop it in my bag so I can't even feel it vibrate, a.k.a. no temptation! Now I did put a post on Facebook on the day which suggested everyone handing in their phones to the same place you hand your bags in to. Some people thought this was good, others not so, some suggested making theatres signal-less zones but in my mind this wouldn't solve the problem of flash lights and playing games. Then I saw a post West End Wilma put on Twitter about theatres on Broadway...


Would this help? I think the problem is that people are getting away with using phones too often and don't get any form of punishment. So, I think if it were properly enforced it could work...yes it's harsh but then having a show, that you've spent a large amount of money on, ruined by a phone justifies think don't you think?

2. Good Behaviour - The General Nice Guy/Gal - On a few occasions I've been overwhelmed at how nice some people have been in the theatre, namely there was a man when I went to see Hair a few years ago who spent the interval chatting to me and my friends and giving us advice on the show (they invite the whole audience up onto the stage at the end of the second act...he, also, looked after our bags for us when we went up!), as well as being the type of person you could share and arm rest with. Now this is the behaviour we need to see more of at the theatre!

3. Manageable Behaviour - The Wriggler...now there's a limit to how much wriggling is acceptable (no seat kicking allowed!) but moving around in your seat a little, I feel, shouldn't get you glared at in the interval. I, for one, will stand up for people who can't sit still as I am one of these and through no fault of my own...a year and two months ago I broke my coccyx and am still in pain due to an inflamed ligament; this means I go to the theatre with a hole-y cushion and find it uncomfortable to sit in the same position for a long period of time. What I'm saying is, maybe people need to wriggle a little...forgive them people of the world they could be in pain.

4. Bad Behaviour - The Constant Chatter...like phone use, why, oh why would you pay to come and see a show and talk the whole way through it. Please go to a bar, or just stay at home if all you want to do is talk; it'll probably be a lot easier to hear each other anyway. And let's not get on to how distracting it is for everyone else! Now I'm not against a tiny whisper to your friend or a short (and I mean short!) explanation to your child, which results in them sitting quietly but jabbering on is a big, big no no!

5. Good Behaviour - The Laugher...there's been a few times when I've been to the theatre and sat near someone with a hilarious and infectious laugh. The most memorable time was one of the times I went to see Matilda and there was a guy sat behind me who had the most amazing laugh on the planet...so much so that I nearly turned round and asked if he could come to everyone musical with a hint of comedy as his laugh made the show ten times funnier (and that's saying something as I love Matilda anyway). So, in my books, it you've got a good laugh on you, let it roar!

6. Manageable Behaviour - The Sweet Eater...no, no, no, I am not saying that rustling your sweet wrappers is acceptable but I'm fed up of getting glared at for getting a box of Smarties at the interval. Now I know everyone wouldn't go to the lengths that I would to make sweets as silent as possible...taking them out of the plastic wrapper and just putting them in the box...but just because some people make a lot of noise with sweets, please don't tar us all with the same brush.

7. Bad Behaviour - The Arm Rest Hog...you know that person you sit next to who won't let you get even a fraction of your elbow on the arm rest, well to me they turn seeing a theatre show into a wrestling match...come on, there's enough room for two arms on an arm rest!

8. Good Behaviour - Stage Door Sharers...those who share pens, take photos for you and just generally make standing at the stage door a pleasurable experience. It doesn't take a lot to help people out and if you're on the receiving end it makes for a very happy stage door experience.

9. Manageable Behaviour - The Toilet Runner...now I know it's annoying when you're halfway through watching an act and someone has to push past to get to the loo so you miss half the action but wouldn't you rather this than the alternative. Yes, yes they probably should have gone before but what happens if they have a medical problem? I think the best I've ever experienced is those that had to go but waited at the back until the second act started so as not to disturb people a second time...to me this is making the best out of a bad situation.

10. Bad Behaviour - The Kissing Couple...your sat in your seat, watching the show and the people infant lean in to have a little kiss. Okay you can deal with this, but then the start hugging, nuzzling each other and before you know it they're full snog. Not only is it awkward to watch but you're missing the show. Yes you may love your partner but please can the only love affair be the one that's going on on stage?

11. Good Behaviour - Interval Interaction...kind of similar to number two but those people who chat to you, particularly when you're on your own. We all know the type, not too over baring but have the confidence to make you feel welcome. Now I fully admit to the fact that I know I'd be too shy to make the first interaction but I totally admire people who do and wish I had the confidence to be more like them as I think it can really make a show to know there's fellow theatre buffs there with you.

12. Manageable Behaviour - The Perpetual Cougher...cough, cough, cough, rustle, rustle, rustle...I know those you cough are annoying but think about it, they really can't help it; it's not like they're coughing on purpose. And as for the rustle of the wrapper of a cough sweet, yes they're loud but I always thing I'd prefer a bit of loud rustling if it means that the poor coughing soul will get some relief and I'm able to go on watching the show.

13. Bad Behaviour - The No Partaking Moaner...fair enough, if you didn't think the show deserved a standing ovation, can't stand or take part for some reason they ok, I'm fine with you. The problem comes with those who then feel the need to complain that they can't see or just generally moan at people who are (or can) take part. I mean I went to see The Rocky Horror Show and kept getting death stares from a guy when I joined in with some of the shout outs and the same guy started muttering under his breath when my friends and I really went for it in the Time Warp...if you don't want to or can't join in that's fine but let me have some fun too!

14. Good Behaviour - The Ticket Giver...now I can't find the article but I seem to remember a few months ago reading something that said a couple had realised on the day that they couldn't make it to see Book of Mormon but rather than getting a return they gave their ticket to someone who was waiting in the returns queue for free...how special is that?

15. Manageable Behaviour - The Defiantly Seated...linking into number thirteen, as I was saying if you can't stand or just don't feel the show was good enough to stand up then that's ok. People are entitled to their own opinions even if we don't agree with them. Also, someone may have a disability or just feel unsteady on their feet and they, most certainly, shouldn't be judged for staying seated. So really these people aren't defiant as the title suggests; they're just different and rightly so.

16. Bad Behaviour - The Late-Comer...even though it's annoying when someone comes in late at the start of the first act I'm not really referring to this as there could be a good reason...late train etc. The people that are really annoying are those who stumble back in at the start of the second act, drinks in hand, making a lot of noise, five minutes after it's started...my thoughts are, they're already in the building, they were just having too much of a good time at the bar to listen to the bell. Correct me if I'm wrong but surely you've come to watch the theatre not prop up the bar.

17. Good Behaviour - Friendships made and formed...now you probably know all about this even though it doesn't necessarily take place in the theatre...it's the friendships, fandoms and Facebook groups that come out of musical theatre, I don't think anything could get better than this.

Now I know this has been a rather long post but I hope you've enjoyed it. And let me know what behaviours you like or dislike in the theatre by commenting below or tweeting me at @GreenGirlsRox, also remember to follow me on Instagram to keep up with my musical theatre goings on and follow this blog by clicking the button at the top right of this post :)
Love you all
Kat
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment