Sunday 22 March 2015

4.48 Psychosis - It Is Myself I Have Never Seen Whose Face Is Pasted On The Underside Of My Mind

Hi everyone, I'm a little late with this post but you know what they say...better late than never. Anyway on 7th March I journeyed back down to Sheffield to see another show in The Crucible's Sarah Kane Season. Earlier on in the year I had been to see the rather controversial but much loved Blasted (click here to see my blog on that), however, this time it was the turn of my favourite Sarah Kane play, and second favourite play in the whole world (second only to Claire Dowie's Adult Child/Dead Child...click here to read my ramblings on that) 4.48 Psychosis...or as my mum calls it 4.48 out 10 Cats Psychosis (you can probably tell what we watch on the TV!).

I will warn you now that there may be a few spoilers in this post as, like I said with Blasted, it's hard to talk about it and evaluate it without giving bit away. However, 4.48 is the type of play that even though I'd read it a thousand times, it's eclectic mix of seemingly random yet beautifully placed lines, made it incredibly exciting as the staging can change the whole feel of the play.

Firstly, I should describe why I like this play so much...well I first read it in my second year at uni and automatically felt connected to it as it's main focus is mental health. In whatever way it's performed it's a very powerful representation on what it's like to have mental health problems from the perspective of someone who has been there and is still there themselves...what I mean by this is that there is a debate as to whether 4.48 was Kane's suicide note as it was found by her feet after her first attempt and whilst she didn't succeed this time it wasn't too long before she did. The play's title, also, is embedded firmly in the world of mental health as Kane used to wake at 4.48am to what she first described as periods of madness but later went to say they were periods of sanity. The reason why this means a lot to me is because for years I have suffered with anxiety and mild OCD, as well as recently being diagnosed with depression...I feel the play is very true to some of the feelings I have experienced and feel that it is a great way of showing those who have suffered that they are not alone, whilst providing those who haven't suffered with an insight and perhaps an understanding as to what it is like to suffer with mental health problems.

The play is, also, special to me because for my final uni performance my friends and I created a play called [Untitled] which had elements of 4.48, as well as parts from Adult Child/Dead Child and stuff we'd written ourselves, incorporated into it. This meant working in depth with 4.48 and made it quite weird when watching the production I went to see as I kept following on with different lines that what was being said...it's amazing how a script can come back to you when you're prompted with one or two lines!

Anyway, as for the production at The Crucible, the first thing that struck me as I walked into the theatre space was how different it looked from when I saw a Blasted there. Rather than waffle on about this I've decided to draw you a picture with the top image being the theatre as it was set out for Blasted and the bottom as how it was set out for 4.48. To me this really struck home about how versatile this theatrical space was and I'd like to commend The Crucible for really working the space to suit the play.

Top: The Theatre Space at Blasted
Bottom: The Theatre Space at 4.48 Psychosis

The seating, however, whilst comfortable enough for me did have a few obstacles in the way of vision as I was sat in the second tier, which was basically built into the wall. This meant that there were stage lights and poles obstructing the view, in addition to the fact that the vertical drop meant that some of the acting was obscured. Furthermore, one of my friends was quite uncomfortable due to the height and lack of protection...while the area was safe, if you suffer from vertigo it probably doesn't feel that way. For this reason I would suggest booking early when coming to view a performance in the studio space at The Crucible so as to obtain seats on the ground level.

Coming onto the play itself, the first thing to mention is that while it was very different to how I would have staged it, it was still very effective and enjoyable. The play was depicted in two styles: a counselling series of scenes with one character playing the councillor and the other playing the patient; or scenes of supposed madness or psychosis which focused more on the thoughts and feelings of a person with mental health. I thought it very effective that the 'counselling' scenes were portrayed with  hospital-esque lighting and an eerie silence that was only broken by the ticking of a clock. These scene were, also very stayed with the characters staying seated on chairs for the most part; hence giving the impression of counselling. The other scenes were darker and accompanied with yellow lights that shone from the floor under the stage level seating...in a weird way it almost felt like being encapsulated in someone's brain; a feeling I felt suited the play well. During these scenes the characters were freer in their movement and used the whole of the space rather than just the centre part of the stage. All in all, I found the staging very effective in aiding in providing the powerful message that the words deliver.

The main difference between the production at The Crucible and how I would have staged the play came in the portrayal of the dialogue. The Crucible's production showed the dialogue to be more like that of a typical play rather than the artistic, seemingly random, way that Kane wrote it. I don't think this was wrong in any sense and was really interested to see how it was portrayed thus way...I, also, feel that it showed just how versatile 4.48 is and how many different ways it could be portrayed. To give you an example of how I would have staged it here's a short list of a few things I would have done: get the actors to chalk out the numbers, as well as vocalising them, in the section where Kane filled the page with numbers; repeated certain words and phrases throughout the play and created rounds with certain sequences of text to create a feeling of chaos; and get the actors to speak certain lines together to add more force and dynamism to them. This is how I'd always visualised the play being staged, in a quite blunt and forceful kind of way, however, The Crucible managed to get the message across in a way that was calm yet dynamic at the same time. In my opinion neither way is better than the other...just different.

Finally (and I know I've probably broken my New Year's resolution by waffling on too much...but this it what happens when I see such a detailed play that, also, happens to be one of my favourites), I must talk about the acting, or more particularly one of the actors. Whilst both Rakie Ayola and Pearl Chanda were very good, it was Tom Mothersdale who really took my breath away as his depiction of someone with mental health problems was spot on, in my opinion. There was just something about the way he acted that made him real rather than an actor playing a part...a stunning performance, well done.

Overall, I thought this was a very good, albeit different performance to what I was expecting. I would definitely recommend seeing this 4.48,and will certainly be going to see other versions myself (when they are on) so as to explore the versatile nature of the play.

Top: Tickets
Bottom: Programme and Leaflet / The Theatre

I hope you enjoyed this review, remember to follow this blog if you want to see more of my theatrical ramblings, as well as following me on Instagram. And if you want to ask me anything please feel free to comment below or tweet me @GreenGirlsRox.
Love you all
Kat
xx


Please open the curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment