Wednesday 4 February 2015

Musical Theatre Tag

Hi everyone, after reading the Musical Theatre Tag on Charlie Reynolds blog 'That is the Spell', I decided to do my own, so here goes...

What's the first musical you ever saw?
I can't remember which was my very first if we're including films in this but it was probably something like Annie. However, the first stage musical I remember seeing was Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat at Nottingham Theatre Royal.

What was your favourite musical growing up?
Definitely Grease...I think I much have watched the film of this at least a million times when I was younger but I think I kind of over did it as now I'm not that keen.


Were you ever in a musical?
I was in a few at school (Joseph and We Will Rock You), a few at a theatre summer school (Summer Holiday, Mamma Mia and High School Musical) and then a few with a group called Nearly Instant Theatre Sessions, however these were musicals of the group's own creation.

What was the first musical you ever saw in the West End?
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Palladium when I was ten...and the other interesting fact is that I had a broken leg when I saw this!



If you could be any female character in a musical who would you be and why?
I'd love to be Elphaba in Wicked. I feel such a strong connection to her and her beliefs and would love to be raised up above the theatre at the end of Defying Gravity.

If you could be any male character in a musical who would you be and why?
There are so many I could choose, mainly based on which songs I'd like to sing, such as Anthem from Chess, Santa Fe from Newsies and If You Were Gay from Avenue Q. However, I'm going to go back to my roots and say it would have to be Felicia/Adam from Priscilla because I'm totally in love with the show and think that Felicia has the most fun and some of the best songs.

What's your favourite musical song to sing?
Don't Rain on my Parade from Funny Girl, however, I love the Glee version. I think there's quite a lot of power and fire behind this song and it's just good fun to sing.

Who's your favourite actress?
I'm going to be naughty here and say both Idina Menzel and Kerry Ellis...it's probably something to do with the fact that they were both Elphaba. Idina's such a talent and got such a powerful voice that is just impossible to match. I've always admired Kerry but after seeing her again in Wicked in August 2014 when she re-took the role I fell in love with her as she was just so perfect. You've probably guessed that this makes the DVD concert recording of Chess one of my favourite things to watch :) 

Who's your favourite actor?
Oliver Tompsett...he's just perfect! He can tap, dance, sing, act, looks gorgeous and is such a gentleman when meeting him after a show.


What's your favourite film adaption of a musical?
I think, even though it was massively different and I was quite skeptical about it before it was released, I'd have to say Rock of Ages. To me it was surprisingly well done and brought a little bit of rock and theatre into my home which is always good.

What do you think is the most underrated musical?
At the moment I'm completely in love with the soundtrack of Soho Cinders so I'd have to say that. It's such a beautiful score and the story sounds really cute and fun whilst tackling some challenging issues as well.

What do you think is the most overrated musical?
I'm tied here between saying Phantom and Once. For me I'm just not a big fan of opera and the story of Phantom isn't enough to get me past that. As for Once, I really love the music but really didn't like the plot as there wasn't enough going on.

What musical made you cry?
Everything, absolutely everything...I mean I even cried at the end of Book of Mormon! The one that makes me cry the most though has to be Wicked as Defying Gravity turns me into a complete sobbing wreck. Oh and Matilda with the swings in When I Grow Up...sitting in the stalls with them swinging over my head and hearing that song was just so magical and perfect it brought me to tears.

What musical made you laugh?
Once again, lots of shows have made me laugh but I think the one that stands out for me is Top Hat...there was a line about a plane with wings that had me in stitches!

Are there any musicals you saw and hated?
Like with the overrated question, I'd have to say Phantom and Once, however, I'd more go down the line of that I just didn't really like them rather than going as far as to say I hated them.

What musicals do you want to see as a film?
I don't really know as although I like watching musical films I don't think they'll ever beat going to see a musical at the theatre. For this reason I'd have to say anything that wasn't currently playing in the West End  or was closing soon so I could still get the chance to see it...possibly Made in Dagenham (I know there's already a film but a film of the musical would be good).



What musicals are you dying to see?
Is it cheating to say that I'm dying to see Made in Dagenham again before is closes? I really want to get seats near the front of the stalls, right in the centre so when they sing, 'Stand up, stand up! If you're with me then put your hand up!' I can do just that and hopefully influence the rest of the audience to join in as well. I'm, also, dying to see If/Then with Idina in it...may have to start saving the pennies to get me over to Broadway.

Any movie or book you think should be turned into a musical?
Movie: Anything Disney as Disney musicals are amazing...Pirates of the Caribbean could be pretty cool. Also, Confessions of a Shopaholic as it would be funny and girly and a good night out.

Book: I'm really into my supernatural fiction (yes I love Twilight!) but I'm not sure that these would work as a musical. I'm, also, a Fifty Shades fan but think that this could scar an audience if turned into a musical. The only one I can think of at the minute is a book called Horns by Joe Hill, which was recently turned into a film...I think this could work quite well as one of the darker, moody musicals.

What is your all-time favourite musical?
My top three have to be Matilda, Priscilla and Wicked, however, if I had to choose out of these I'd go for Wicked every time as it was where my musical obsession started and I often think of myself as being quite similar to Elphaba...she's my idol and that's why I love it.


I hope you've enjoyed reading this tag, I'd love to hear your own answers or any comments you have on mine. Please feel free to comment on this post or tweet me at @GreenGirlsRox. And don't forget to subscribe to this blog and follow me on Instagram as well.
Love you all
Kat
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment