Friday 3 August 2012

Puttin' On My Top Hat...

Hi my lovely readers how are you? This is my first of two posts about my wonderful birthday in London. I was incredibly lucky and got to see both Top Hat and Matilda with my friend, Alys, and my mum.
So let's begin...today (or rather this evening's) post is about Top Hat and my preparation for it.
The evening began well as we had a stroll down Long Acre Street and round Covent Garden Market. We, also, visited Dress Circle which I am very sad to report is closing in two weeks (but more on that in another post)!!! Before heading to the theatre we stopped off for a bite to eat at the Pizza Express on Bow Street. The food was delicious but the highlight was our amazing waiter called Andy who presented me with a candle in my sorbet whilst he, my mum and Alys sang Happy Birthday to me. So if you ever are in the Covent Garden area pop along to the Pizza Express down Bow Street and ask for Andy, he is amazing!!!
After a fab meal we headed off for the Aldwych Theatre. To begin with, let's just say I was rather sceptical about this show as I had only really booked to see it as it had Tom Chambers (who I've loved ever since he was in Strictly) in and thought that there may be too much dancing and not enough story for my liking. However, I am pleased to report that this was not the case. The show was absolutely fabulous and Tom Chambers (Jerry Travers), Summer Strallen (Dale Tremont), Martin Ball (Horace Hardwick), Vivien Parry (Madge Hardwick) and Stephen Boswell (Bates) were amazing. We, also, had an understudy playing Alberto Beddini who was outstanding. We were, also, on the look out for Callum Train who is the nephew of one of the presenters of the most amazing musical radio show in the country, Westenders (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7zf - if you listen because of this post please say you were recommended by Kat of Sal Kat and Meg the dollie cog!). We were really excited as Callum had been promoted to the role of Doorman and was fantastic! Overall the acting, singing and, needless to say, the dancing in this show are second to none.
The plot impressed me immensely with its classy comedy and wit. I don't think I have ever laughed at a show so much in my life. There are some brilliantly funny one liners and some hilarious situations that the plot presents. What amazed me the most is this comic element as I did not expect a show that began as a movie in 1935 to be so full of humour...Irving Berlin certainly knew how to make people laugh!!!
However, what must be remembered is that this is a show that focuses heavily on dancing, especially tap. This was perfect for me as I love tap (if there is a story to go with it), however, if this is not your cup of tea and you want a show that focuses on big show stopping vocal performances this probably isn't the show for you. Nevertheless, if you love a bit of fancy footwork you have to get a ticket by any means possible (oh...and you could take me along as well while you're about it!)
My only criticism comes about because of the theatre itself and is relatively minor. My problem was the seats had very little leg room (even in our seats midway back in the stalls) and I kept slipping off them! Other than this it was a great show and we had an amazing view.
To top of our evening we waited by the stage door (as you do for all good musicals). This was slightly disappointing as we were the only people waiting! Nevertheless, this was, also, quite good as we got more time to talk to the stars of the show, as well as, more time for photo opportunities. Alys had found out from the programme that Martin Ball had starred in Home Farm Twins (a children's TV show from our youth) so we were incredibly excited about meeting him, as well as, Tom. Both of them were really lovely and it was great chatting to them and telling them how much we'd enjoyed the show.
Overall, this was a fab evening and I would definitely recommend it!!!
Here are a few pictures from my evening...

Me with Tom Chambers


Alys with Tom Chambers


Mum, Alys and I with Martin Ball


All of us in Pizza Express with the Sorbet with a candle (you can just see it at the bottom in the middle!)

Have you see Top Hat?
Did you enjoy it as much as I did?

See you soon
Lv Kat xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment